Hockeystick Launches Open Database of Canada’s Innovation Economy
CVCA Infobase 2.0 Database On Hockeystick Platform On Track To Be Launched June 2018
Hockeystick has released the largest open database of Canadian startups and investors. Its database provides first-of-its-kind visibility into the country’s innovation economy with an excess of 8,000 entities already in the system, including companies and early-stage funders: angel groups, accelerators, government programs, venture capital firms and private equity funds.
The open database is freely available starting today on Hockeystick’s website.
“We believe in the power of data to make better companies, investors and markets,” said Hockeystick’s Founder and CEO, Raymond Luk. “The lack of accurate, standardized data has hurt the performance of the entire private market. We see a future where high-quality data is available to everyone, whether you’re an entrepreneur looking for funding or an investor seeking the next unicorn. Data has the power to produce meaningful insights, including predictive ones, and to drive better returns.”
With the open database, Hockeystick is challenging the subscription-based business model data vendors often implement. Arguing that users should not have to pay to access their own information.
“Creating a database shouldn’t mean that businesses can put up a paywall and sell customer data back to them or to others. Entities should own their own data, control how it’s used, and have clear incentives to share it if they choose to,” commented Luk. “Hockeystick is the only data company that approaches data rights and ownership this way.”
The data in Hockeystick’s open database is provided by qualified public sources, including government open data, company and fund websites, press releases and direct contributions.
Owners of companies and funds have the exclusive right to publish data to their public record.
The company will continue to add entities to the open database and has a roadmap of new functionality, including APIs, enhanced fundraising searches and more. It will also leverage existing and future partnerships to further enhance the system.
• Hockeystick has released the largest open database of Canadian companies, angel groups, accelerators, government programs, venture capital firms and private equity funds
• The open database includes almost 7,000 companies and over 1,000 active funders
• Data in Hockeystick’s open database is provided by qualified public sources
• Users can take advantage of search features, creating lists of industry entities they care most about
• Hockeystick gives owners of companies and funds the exclusive right to publish data to their public record and leverages industry standard security solutions and best practices
If you would like to submit an idea for content, contribute to an article, or are interested in submitting an op-ed, contact the CVCA’s editorial department here.